Make it a beachy-chic holiday with gifts from downtown Venice.
Bring your walking shoes—historic downtown Venice bustles with stores you’ll want to explore. This friendly beach town is a playground for browsers and serious shoppers alike, with a delightful mix of fashion, home and gourmet products. Venice and Miami Avenues, the main shopping streets, have a little bit of everything, from beachy souvenir and gift shops to upscale décor and resort wear boutiques. And you’ll find a bevy of consignment and vintage stores, too. BY CAROL TISCH
Cool clothes, nostalgic goodies and more.
1. A series of shadow boxes features your choice of stone-cast nautilus shells, several coral species, starfish and more in frames of natural abaca or woven synthetic wicker (from $166-$249). Sunshine Boyz Island Home, 1950 Tamiami Trail S., Venice, (941) 525-6111.
2. For travel shoes so comfy you’ll want to wear them right here at home, try machine-washable LS Shocks by Archopedico, with knitted uppers that shape to the foot and feature a high-tech arch support system ($95 for men and women). Dick’s Shoes, 219 W. Venice Ave., Venice, (941) 488-4999.
3. From the new XCVI resort collection, a hot orange crochet top ($139) turns heads at the beach and beyond with a sexy see-through layered look over a simple white top. Seaside Chic Boutique, 305A W. Venice Ave., Venice, (941) 484-1313.
4. Whether you vacation in Florida or Cambodia, nothing stands up to extreme heat with the élan of Tori Richard’s cool, breathable cotton lawn shirts made in Hawaii (Empire, $92). Captain’s Landing, 243 W. Venice Ave., Venice, (941) 485-2329.
5. An expertly curated selection of tabletop and cooking gear includes mouthwatering choices, from sky- blue Danby cast-iron pots and pans (round three-liter covered casserole, $149) to olive oil tasting sets ($58, shown) to chic fruit bowls by Alessi (from $90). The Tabletop, 205 W. Venice Ave., Venice, (941) 485-0319.
6. Nostalgia abounds at an adorable gift shop with Old Florida memorabilia, a cache of retro candy bars that take you back to your childhood, and celebrity lunch boxes with images of Monroe, Elvis and more ($17.95). Nifty Nic Nacs, 203 W. Venice Ave., Venice, (941) 488-8666.
7. For interiors that bring new meaning to the phrase “endless summer,” don’t miss the gifts, accessories and furniture hand-picked by designer-proprietor Janice Riordan that define her sophisticated coastal style (taboret stool/side table, $338). Seaside Chic Home, 217 W. Venice Ave., Venice, (941) 483-1177.